Feedback about the build command

I’m starting a new discussion for users to report feedback about their experience using the tuist build command that we are shipping with Tuist 1.10.0.

Feel free to answer to this discussion with ideas, bugs, or any concern you might have about this feature

Just running tuist build felt so great! It looks really promising :slightly_smiling_face:

For our team in order to incorporate it into our process, we’d need two things:

1. Ability to specify a configuration. Currently, it uses a default configuration but we need to specify a configuration when we want to build a release version of our app.
  2. Add --archive flag. This would create a .xcarchive to a predefined directory, my suggestion is to use .outputs (I feel letting users specify the export path does not bring any value and we should strive to keep build command as simple as possible, so we don’t just copy xcodebuild's interface)

What do you think about these additions?

Thanks for sharing your feedback Marek. Answering to your points:

1. Ability to specify a configuration. Currently, it uses a default configuration but we need to specify a configuration when we want to build a release version of our app.

What about adding support for a --configuration Debug flag?

Add --archive flag. This would create a .xcarchive to a predefined directory, my suggestion is to use .outputs (I feel letting users specify the export path does not bring any value and we should strive to keep build command as simple as possible, so we don’t just copy xcodebuild 's interface)

With this one I lean more towards adding a new command, archive. I think using commands over arguments keep commands simpler, and it’s more intuitive for the user: what are you trying to do? I’d like to build/archive app X. I think having to know what combination of flags to use with xcodebuild is what makes it not so user-friendly. What do you think?

Sure, I like that :+1:

I think that is a good approach, only downside would be that for archive command we will need to copy the --scheme and --configuration flags from build, but I suppose it is a good enough trade-off :slightly_smiling_face: