June 25th Update

Hi everyone!

I know it’s been a while without posting updates but here we are. One of the hardest challenges of working in open source projects is building routines and keeping users up to date with the progress we are making on the different fronts of the project (apologies for that).

The following list contains a list of what we have been up to, as well as what we are planning to work on next:

• Apps at scale: As you might have noticed, we have a new section on the website that includes interviews to companies and projects that are doing app development at scale (not necessarily using Tuist). This is a topic that I’m particularly excited about and that intimately relates to what Tuist does. We already have 3 interviews: Marek, Donal, and Kamil. If you haven’t check them out, I’d recommend reading them because they share very interesting insights about their projects. I’ve been talking with some people over Twitter that would like to participate so we’ll see more interviews in the upcoming weeks. If you know someone that might be interested in participate or a company from which you’d like to know more, feel free to answer to this thread and I’ll work it out.
  • Run and test: After tuist build, bringing test and run seems like the natural next steps so that’s what we are doing. Like we did with the build command, we are building those commands to work with zero arguments by inferring most of the attributes from the project. For that we are using Apple’s primitives like xcodebuild or simctl, that we are combining in a higher level abstraction that removes the need of having to describe automation tasks in a Fastfile.
  • Website search: I started working on adding a search bar at the top of the website. With more content being added to the website, it’ll be useful for developers landing on the website to search what they are looking for. I found Gatsby libraries for that so I’ll set them up and add the UI bits.
  • Caching: This is one of the features that I’m the most excited about and that has been put on hold for quite a long time. We are close to having a running implementation of this one so I’d like to give it a final push to have a prototype for users to use and give us feedback. Note that remote caching belongs to a group of features that we refer to as “Cloud” that require a server-side implementation. Teams will be able to provide their own implementation or use Galaxy, which I’m building aside from Tuist’s open-source project.
  • Signing: @marekfort shipped signing support in the last version of Tuist. If you haven’t used it yet, you might consider giving it a try. Certificates and profiles are encrypted in the project’s repository. Tuist configures the environment and the projects automatically for signing your apps.

As always, moving slow but steady. WWDC has brought significant improvements, but when it comes to challenges scaling up apps, Apple seems to be disregarding it (which is good for us). Let’s continue to help teams overcome those challenges. By supporting projects, we support their users, and we have a huge impact in this planet we live in!

Happy coding everyone :slight_smile:

1 Like